Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Las Terrenas & a real Fata Morgana

As we arrived in Las Terrenas, the first thing we noticed was beautiful beaches and the kind of tropical color the sea always has in postcards and travel-posters.
The second thing I noticed (of which I purposely didn´t notice Sooi, my travel companion), were fairly new or still being constructed tourist complexes, typical tourist-beach-bars and all the stuff that you´d expect in Barcelona beaches. Immediately we had the impression of a very expensive neighbourhood.
Luckily our impression quickly changed as we entered the town, which apart from being rather clean, still felt like a Domenican Town. Still we feared that the prices for accomodation was going to be 4 - 5 times the price we were used to.
Although after a quick search for youth hostels we found this place called ´Fata Morgana´, which was only 590 something a night for a double room, cheaper than anything we´d stayed before !!


Ver Las Terrenas en un mapa más grande

The hostel, which existed out of 6 rooms in 3 separate buildings spread around a beautiful garden with Paco, the lawn mower / donkey, 4 dogs, a chicken, a vulture that flies over pretty often and many Gecko´s (who come visit us in the room as well).
I was so happy there was a communal kitchen so I could prepare my own food, because the 2 times I ate vegetables here, I ended up with some diarrhea. (I´ll post some pictures soon, I only now remembered I can take pictures with my phone, which is at least something...)

1 comment: