Saturday, August 29, 2009

Bocas del Toro

To get to the island, we have to take a water taxi. We are waiting for it on a platform that covers the water, just like a lot of wooden sheds along the bay that looks like a river. The water taxi takes us out of the bay and we enter a vast open space of water which is flat as a mirror. After about 10-15 minutes we arrive at the island Bocas del Toro. It mainly exists out of one main street filled with hostels, restaurants, two supermarkets, a tourist information center and gift shops.
The next day we went to the party in town, which is Ladies Night (the ladies drink for free). Some girl said to me it is actually more like men's night since all the girls are drunk and playfull. I agreed totally... The party itself wasn't that great but hugely compensated by a swimming pool on the premises. Since the hotel was built on poles in the water, all the swimming pool is, is a hole in the floor revealing the water underneath. After a couple of drinks everyone started pushing everyone in the swimming pool all night long, so it became the best party ever ;-)
The day after this party we were supposed to catch a Catamaran for a round-trip along some islands, but due to the alcohol we missed it, so we opted for a shorter (and cheaper) alternative that also gave us the opportunity to see dolphins and go snorkeling.
We went snorkeling in front of an idyllic restaurant that had to be provided with food by boats (it was completely surrounded by water) and had ran out at that particular moment. When we were in the water some other people threw some shreds of bread in our vicinity and quickly we were surrounded by thousand of fishes swimming all around us trying to catch their share of the bread. When I was floating a little further off shore I saw many colorful fishes and other sea creatures living their underwater life. I suddenly gasped and nearly drowned when I noticed a jelly fish heading in my direction. After regaining my consciousness I managed to observe the jelly fish swimming which was probably one of the coolest things I ever observed in the wild. Still I didn't feel so comfortable anymore as I noticed more jelly fish so I headed back to the safe shore...
The last stop was red turtle beach. We had to pay 3 dollars to get into the natural park. We didn't see any red turtles and when we reached the beach at the other end of the park, it started raining. So then we decided to get a drink (I was travelling with English people) at the bar. Unfortunately the bar had burned down the day before...

No comments:

Post a Comment