Sunday, October 4, 2009

Drifting

"Have we moved closer to Venezuela ?" I asked. Yesterday we had arrived in this little beach village "Taganga" after coming from Cartagena, the hottest city in the Americas.
"I don't know", came the answer. I remembered passing through Barranquilla, so it must be. The busride, which was said to last for 3 hours, which was then extended by a passenger to 6 hours and later corrected by the bus attendant to 1h20 more than the current duration (which was 3 hours), lasted 5 hours so we arrived around 9 pm in "La Martha", the bigger city about 10 mins from here.
Now, seated on the beach, I decide to go for a swim and plunge in the warm but cooling, flat, pearl-blue ocean water. Trying to by as hydradynamic (as in aerodynamic) as possible I swim with slow, long strokes and I enjoy the water, softly swirling away from my body as a massage o so gently. Drifting backwards I slow down my breathing, bobbing up and down as I a breath in... and out...
(I can't really drift, my feet sink :-) )
Responding to my sinking feet after holding still, I arch my back and head backwards to make a perfect bow. Through my closed eyes a very subtle gradient of red and orange fills my vision in a total, all encapsulating manner. Holding my breath I sink and release all the tension in my body. I drift a few seconds with my arms pointing down, my knees and head slightly bend and in an utter relaxed state. Next I fold my hands over my now contracted knees and I touch them with my nose. The gradients in my sight change to a less brighter but still radiating deep blue with a hint of purple. The swirling water make me loose all sense of direction but the pressure in my ears tell me I'm still sinking. Gently I touch the bottom, still in crouched position and with a soft push from one of my feet I rise slowly trying to breach the surface. Shortly after I recognize the pressure raising anew, I touch ground again. This time I push harder and I stretch my body fullout. I Swim closer to the coast until the water level reaches my armpits. While still a little dizzy, I look at my feet and wonder how clear the water is, when I white plastic spoon drift 10 cm in front of me from the left to the right, followed by a condom that, in it's inflated state, could be mistaken for a deep-sea jelly fish of some kind. In the same 5 m radius I can also see a peacefully floating bag of chips, a beautiful blue plastic bag and some empty coke bottles...

No comments:

Post a Comment